Before you worry about fat burners, get the basics right and you’ll be set for life. I get loads of questions from new clients and teenagers about supplements and they are usually approaching things back to front. Get the basics (calories, macros, timing) right first, then worry about the last 5-10% improvements that come via supplements.
It might take some tinkering but if it’s a priority for you, you’ll keep on tinkering until you find a happy place.
IN THIS ORDER!
- Get your calorie intake sorted.
- Work out how many you need to maintain your weight
- Reduce calories to lose weight
- Don’t worry about bulking unless you’re a competitive bodybuilder or strength/power athlete
- Get your macros sorted.
How much carb, protein and fat to eat.
- Get your meal timing right.
- Carbs to fuel training (pre and post)
- Start the day with fats and protein
- Constant supply of quality protein.
- Get your micronutrients and fluid intake right
- 2 litres of water a day
- Lots of brightly coloured fruit and veg
- Protein from meat, dairy and fish
- Carbs from wholegrain and fibrous sources.
- Get your supplementation right
- Whey protein shake for after training
- Electrolytes for during / after training
- BCAA if you’re doing lots of intense weight training
- Magnesium for lots of anaerobic training
- Quality fish oil supplement
- Caffeine before training
- Beta-alanine for more advanced athletes